Monday, October 7, 2013

Island Inspiration...


Sanibel Island, Florida; June 2013
Although the picture to the right may seem rather simple, it represents much more than the first glance warrants. This past summer--similar to the past few summers--I spent one week in Sanibel Island, Florida; this picture was taken there. The large rocks separate this area of the Gulf of Mexico into two very distinct sections; the viewable side is very turbulent, while the adjacent appears much more tranquil. Although this section of the water creates large waves capable of knocking a knee-wader on their ass, the beauty lies underneath. Because of the forceful waves, the most beautiful array of seashells continually wash up with the morning tide. As is true of most areas of Sanibel Island, many of these seashells contain live animals. To some individuals, this may not be anything out of the ordinary; but to someone who has never truly witnessed a live sea creature or mollusk straight from the ocean, it is a sight to behold. The sheer concept of picking up a detailed, whole shell--one which inhabits a sea creature--is something shocking, wonderful, and very quizzical. I cannot even begin to count the number of sea creatures and mollusks I've encountered during my past three summers in Sanibel; yet each encounter is somehow more interesting than the previous experience. To stand at the edge of the Gulf of Mexico, looking out into the vast expanse of green and blue water; to consider the idea that there are so many unexplored areas of the ocean, including the one you are face-to-face with; it's one of the most wild feelings. When you allow yourself to take a few moments to consider how small you are within the scope of the ocean--let alone the Earth--a sudden moment of panic, ecstasy, and bewilderment overwhelms the body. I've found that very few people allow themselves to feel vulnerable to the enormity of the Earth; but it is one realization that I continue to allow myself to experience over and over again. I would recommend that everyone experience this feeling at least once in their lifetime--it frees the mind and spirit in such an unequivocal way. An appreciation of the Earth and its forces is something each and every one of us should constantly employ.

2 comments:

  1. I've never been to Sanibel Island, but now I really want to go there. Your description of it is so detailed and vivid. I can just see myself standing where you stood and feeling the peace of it. The picture is amazing as well. It almost felt like I was reading a poem at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sanibel Island looks pretty sweet. I really want to travel when I graduate and this place has made my list. Your description gave me a pretty good mental image and I want to see it for myself.

    ReplyDelete